TOPSoccer is a community-based training and outreach program for young athletes with special needs. It is designed and administered by US Youth Soccer and it’s volunteer TOPSoccer committee provides meaningful learning, development and physical participation opportunities to these young athletes through the game of soccer.
The program is designed to bring the opportunity of learning and playing soccer to any child, who has a mental or physical disability. Our goal is to enable the thousands of young athletes with disabilities to become valued and successful members of the US Youth Soccer family.
This program was piloted in 2016 by SWM Kickers TopSoccer Director, Carrie Ogonowski. The pilot was very successful as they were able to work with approximately 25 players. Since then other clubs have started coming on board.
WMYSA long range goal for this program is to eventually grow it where we can hold Jamboree style events with the various clubs who offer TOPSoccer. The current requirements for the program are as follows:
- This program is for youth players up thru 19 years of age
- Any player over the age of 19 that wishes to participate and you feel could benefit from the program may participate only after WMYSA has received an exception from the state. We do not anticipate this being a problem. Please send us the information and we will take it from there.
- Any player who is playing must have a birth certificate uploaded and verified to be on the roster. Players over the age of 10 in need of international clearance must also work with WMYSA to obtain that information. This typically takes less than two days.
- All coaches and or buddies must have current risk management and be listed on a roster in order to be covered by insurance. If the coach/buddy is on another roster, they do not need to be added to the TOPSOCCER team roster. If you do this we get charged for them again. Only those not already on a WMYSA team roster should be listed on the TOPSOCCER Roster.
- WMYSA is currently covering the registration cost for all players , coaches and buddies listed on the roster. However, WMYSA will not cover the registration costs for those listed on the roster if all the required information is not completed.