WMYSA Academy Fall 2009
WMYSA Academy Program Fall 2009
Academy Rules/Regulations Currently In Place
- U8 age appropriate players (8-1-01 to 7-31-02) can play on U9 team or U8 Academy but not both.
- U7 age appropriate players can only participate in the Academy. No “play-up” requests will be allowed. (U7 is 8-1-02 to 7-31-03)
- No U6 players allowed in academy. (8-1-03 to 7-31-04)
- Clubs will provide at minimum a colored tee-shirt or scrimmage pennies (no requirement for full uniforms in academy play – numbers are not required on uniform)
- Girls and boys would practice/train together – no separate academy for boys and girls.
- Jamborees will be on Sunday only. (This will allow academy members to continue to participate in local recreational soccer leagues.)
- Playing Format 4v4 without keepers. (WMYSA Academy and Club’s Academy directors will review this format periodically)
- Minimum Academy Size: 6 players (needed to be invited to Jamboree)
- Maximum Academy Size: 18 players
- Practice Limitations: No more than two per week
- Club is expected to provide one volunteer match referee for every two teams that the team brings to the Jamboree. Certified referees are not required (per USYSA guidance for U8 play).
- Club academy coach must be experienced and licensed. No grace period to attain licensing (no parent coaches).
- No league standings/statistics kept/published.
- Player registration fee is $25. This is an annual fee for fall and spring participation.
- Fall Academy preliminary commitment date is August 1 (no fee required); Academy Registration fees due by August 25th; Players can be registered (added) during season with only a $10 late fee starting September 20th ($10 is due the MSYSA).
- All academy teams play round-robin on small sized fields
- Number of games (play 2 or 3 20-minute games with 5-10 min break to switch fields/teams)
- Restart for ball out of bounds – Throw-In
- No keepers. Size 3 ball.
- Fouls – USYSA Small Sided Games guidance available – all kicks are direct free kicks
- Restarts – USYSA Small Sided Games guidance available – normal policy per USYSA
- Substitutions – USYSA Small Sided Games guidance available - Unlimited at any stoppage.
- Field size will be determined. It will be approximately 30 x 25 yards. We need to get 4 fields per one full sized field. We will use small size goals.
- 3 Jamborees in the fall – dates to be confirmed; preliminary dates are September 13th , September 27th and October 11th .
- Locations: SW Michigan, Portage, River Oaks provided each has an Academy program.
- Once schedule is determined, clubs indicate interest in attending. Attendance by club is not mandatory. What will be the deadline for indicating a Jamboree? - Will have a two-week notice to participate in jamboree.
- Team matches determined after each Academy Club indicates desire to participate.
- Each Jamboree would be 60-90 minutes in length of playing/games. Academy teams can expect 2-hour commitment for each Jamboree session.
It is recommend from WMYSA:
- There should be two licensed coaches when the academy size is greater than 9 players.
- Each academy only has one practice a week, but not more than twice per week.
- Parent education about the Academy concept, player development, parent behavior provided by club. WMYSA may assist in developing package that all clubs could use as basis.
- Clubs may set up additional academy vs. academy matches if desired. This would be coordinated by clubs, not WMYSA.
- Host locations assist WMYSA on Jamboree set up.
Posted on 09 Jun 2009 by wmysa